Monday, March 14, 2011

Playlist for the End of the World

I was thrilled when I started listening to Muse's album The Resistance and found a post-apocalyptic, dystopian, romantic dream. Fits perfectly with the novel I'm working on.

Plus, it got me thinking. How many of the songs I love are about the end days? With some thought (okay, and some googling) I ended up discovering the answer: a whole lot. Here's my ideal Playlist for the End of the World, a selection of my favourite songs with apocalyptic, post-apoclayptic and dystopian themes*. Totally biased toward my own tastes, of course!

1) Bad Moon Rising – CCR
2) 99 Red Balloons – Goldfinger
3) Panic in Detroit – David Bowie
4) Dead Flag Blues– Godspeed You Black Emperor
5) London Calling – The Clash
6) We Will Become Silhouettes – Postal Service
7) Aenema – Tool
8) Gimme Shelter – The Rolling Stones
9) Brother – The Organ
10) 5 Years – David Bowie
11) Lovecraft in Brooklyn – The Mountain Goats
12) When the Man Comes Around – Johnny Cash
13) Los Angeles is Burning – Bad Religion
14) Eve of Destruction – Barry McGuire
15) The Sky is Fallin’ – Queens of the Stone Age
16) The End – The Doors

Goodbye Blue Sky by Pink Floyd was going to be number 17, since it really has that war-torn, end-of-the-world feeling. But since the whole album has a dystopian slant, I'm instead saying: The Wall. 

 
*I realize that a few of these are actually based around battles in history  (#14 in particular), but I think they could still apply today - and plus, that makes them even more disturbingly delightful.
 
Do you have any favourite songs about the end of the world? Let me know in the comments!

5 comments:

  1. Don't forget, "I wear my sunglasses at night", which is about after a nuclear war when everything glows... !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jess,
    Funnily enough just rebought the album, have now played it through once, transferred it to MP3, have a back up copy on PC and use my Flash Drive to play it on the Hi-Fi. Woohhoo.

    I might have added Feast of Friends to that list though.

    Great stuff though.


    Gareth

    ReplyDelete
  3. An interesting playlist Jess. I love music and thought these were very applicable songs for post-apo. A good list of inspired songs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea that's what "I Wear My Sunglasses At Night" is about. Crazy! And good call on "Feast of Friends". I had to look up the lyrics. . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's one of those iconic tracks that you know when you hear it over the title.

    ReplyDelete