Plus, it got me thinking. How many of the songs I love are about the end days? With some thought (okay, and some googling) I ended up discovering the answer: a whole lot. Here's my ideal Playlist for the End of the World, a selection of my favourite songs with apocalyptic, post-apoclayptic and dystopian themes*. Totally biased toward my own tastes, of course!
1) Bad Moon Rising – CCR
2) 99 Red Balloons – Goldfinger
2) 99 Red Balloons – Goldfinger
3) Panic in Detroit – David Bowie
4) Dead Flag Blues– Godspeed You Black Emperor
5) London Calling – The Clash
6) We Will Become Silhouettes – Postal Service
7) Aenema – Tool
8) Gimme Shelter – The Rolling Stones
9) Brother – The Organ
10) 5 Years – David Bowie
11) Lovecraft in Brooklyn – The Mountain Goats
12) When the Man Comes Around – Johnny Cash
13) Los Angeles is Burning – Bad Religion
14) Eve of Destruction – Barry McGuire
15) The Sky is Fallin’ – Queens of the Stone Age
16) The End – The Doors
Goodbye Blue Sky by Pink Floyd was going to be number 17, since it really has that war-torn, end-of-the-world feeling. But since the whole album has a dystopian slant, I'm instead saying: The Wall.
*I realize that a few of these are actually based around battles in history (#14 in particular), but I think they could still apply today - and plus, that makes them even more disturbingly delightful.
Do you have any favourite songs about the end of the world? Let me know in the comments!


Don't forget, "I wear my sunglasses at night", which is about after a nuclear war when everything glows... !!
ReplyDeleteHey Jess,
ReplyDeleteFunnily enough just rebought the album, have now played it through once, transferred it to MP3, have a back up copy on PC and use my Flash Drive to play it on the Hi-Fi. Woohhoo.
I might have added Feast of Friends to that list though.
Great stuff though.
Gareth
An interesting playlist Jess. I love music and thought these were very applicable songs for post-apo. A good list of inspired songs! :)
ReplyDeleteI had no idea that's what "I Wear My Sunglasses At Night" is about. Crazy! And good call on "Feast of Friends". I had to look up the lyrics. . .
ReplyDeleteIt's one of those iconic tracks that you know when you hear it over the title.
ReplyDelete